Generic Name and Formulations:
Diethylpropion HCl 25mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Diethylpropion:
Short-term adjunct in management of exogenous obesity.
25mg 3 times daily 1 hr before meals and in midevening for night hunger or one 75mg sustained-release tab daily in midmorning.
Arteriosclerosis. Hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Glaucoma. Agitation. Drug or alcohol abuse. During or within 14 days of MAOIs.
Discontinue after a few weeks as tolerance to anorectic effect occurs. Epilepsy. Cardiovascular disease. Arrhythmias. Diabetes. Prescribe limited supply to prevent overdose. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. Blocks guanethidine. Adverse reaction with alcohol. Arrhythmias may occur with general anesthetics. Antagonized by phenothiazines.
Abuse potential, impairment in hazardous activities, arrhythmias, hypertension, CNS overstimulation, psychosis, dry mouth, GI disturbances, urticaria, impotence, seizures, blood dyscrasias, dyspnea, hair loss, dysuria.
Formerly known under the brand names Tenuate, Tepanil (tabs); Tenuate Dospan, Tepanil Ten-tab (SR tabs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad