Diethylpropion sustained-release tabs CIV
Generic Name and Formulations:
Diethylpropion HCl 75mg; sust rel tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Diethylpropion sustained-release tabs:
Short-term adjunct in management of exogenous obesity.
25mg 3 times daily 1 hr before meals and in midevening for night hunger or one 75mg sustained-release tab daily in midmorning.
Arteriosclerosis. Hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Glaucoma. Agitation. Drug or alcohol abuse. During or within 14 days of MAOIs.
Discontinue after a few weeks as tolerance to anorectic effect occurs. Epilepsy. Cardiovascular disease. Arrhythmias. Diabetes. Prescribe limited supply to prevent overdose. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. Blocks guanethidine. Adverse reaction with alcohol. Arrhythmias may occur with general anesthetics. Antagonized by phenothiazines.
Abuse potential, impairment in hazardous activities, arrhythmias, hypertension, CNS overstimulation, psychosis, dry mouth, GI disturbances, urticaria, impotence, seizures, blood dyscrasias, dyspnea, hair loss, dysuria.
Formerly known under the brand names Tenuate, Tepanil (tabs); Tenuate Dospan, Tepanil Ten-tab (SR tabs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Phonemic Verbal Advantage in Mild Cognitive Impairment May Predict Risk for Alzheimer Disease
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Guidance Offered for Improving Mental Health in Workplace
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Early Intervention Strategies for Bipolar Disorder: Clinical Dilemmas and Directions
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Bully for Us: Confronting Medicine's Bullying Problem
- Personality Functioning Associated With Global Functioning in Bipolar Disorder I
- Higher Incidence of Mania in Adults With Intellectual Disabilities vs General Population
- Youth With Gender Nonconformity Vulnerable to Adversity
- Negative Affect That Lingers Tied to Health 10 Years Later