Generic Name and Formulations:
Dicloxacillin sodium 250mg, 500mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Dicloxacillin :
Susceptible infections caused by penicillinase-producing staphylococci. Not for initial therapy in serious, life-threatening infections.
Take on an empty stomach. ≥40kg: Mild to moderate infections: 125mg every 6hrs. Severe infections: 250mg every 6hrs.
Take on an empty stomach. <40kg: Mild to moderate infections: 12.5mg/kg/day in divided doses every 6hrs. Severe: 25mg/kg/day in divided doses every 6hrs.
Signficant allergy/asthma. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant tetracyclines, aminoglycosides. Serum levels increased by probenecid. May reduce anticoagulant response: monitor PT.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions, neurotoxic reactions, blood dyscrasias; C. difficile associated diarrhea.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation