Generic Name and Formulations:
Phenoxybenzamine HCl 10mg; caps.
WellSpring Pharmaceuticals, Corp.
Indications for DIBENZYLINE:
Treatment of pheochromocytoma, to control episodes of hypertension and sweating. May use concomitant β-blocker if tachycardia is excessive.
Individualize. Initially 10mg twice daily. Increase dose every other day, usually to 20–40mg 2 or 3 times daily, until optimal dose obtained. Observe patients after each increase before instituting another increase.
Conditions where a fall in BP may be undesirable.
Cerebral or coronary arteriosclerosis. Renal damage. May aggravate respiratory infections. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant drugs that stimulate both alpha- and beta-adrenergic receptors (eg, epinephrine) may produce exaggerated hypotensive response and tachycardia. Blocks hyperthermia production by levarterenol. Blocks hypothermia production by reserpine.
Alpha adrenergic blocker.
Postural hypotension, tachycardia, inhibition of ejaculation, nasal congestion, miosis, GI upset, drowsiness, fatigue. May be carcinogenic (w. long-term use: not recommended).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders