Generic Name and Formulations:
Dexamethasone 0.5mg, 0.75mg, 1mg, 1.5mg, 2mg, 4mg, 6mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Dexamethasone :
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Initially 0.75–9mg daily.
Systemic fungal infection. Live vaccination. Ocular herpes simplex. Cerebral malaria.
Asthma (inj). Strongyloides infestation. Varicella. Vaccinia. Recent MI. Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Hypothyroidism. Cirrhosis. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Renal insufficiency. Ulcerative colitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Diverticulitis. Peptic ulcer. CHF. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Myasthenia gravis. Hypoprothrombinemia. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, macrolides), cyclosporine, estrogens. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin), ephedrine. May potentiate cyclosporine. May antagonize anticoagulants (monitor), isoniazid, other CYP3A4 substrates (eg, indinavir, erythromycin). Increased risk of arrhythmias with digitalis. May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents. Increased GI effects with aspirin. Monitor for hypokalemia with potassium-depleting drugs (eg, amphotericin B, diuretics). Toxic epidermal necrolysis possible with thalidomide. Concomitant indomethacin: may get false-negative on dexamethasone suppression test. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, masks infection, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance, inj site reactions.
Formerly known under the brand names Decadron, Dexone, Hexadrol.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents