Dexamethasone INTENSOL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Dexamethasone 1mg; per 1mL; contains alcohol 30%.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for Dexamethasone INTENSOL:
See literature. Initally 0.75–9mg daily. Intensol: mix with liquid or semi-solid food.
See literature. Initally 0.02–0.3mg/kg/day in 3–4 divided doses. Intensol: mix with liquid or semi-solid food.
Systemic fungal infection. Live vaccination. Ocular herpes simplex. Cerebral malaria.
Strongyloides infestation. Varicella. Vaccinia. Recent MI. Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Hypothyroidism. Cirrhosis. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Renal insufficiency. Ulcerative colitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Diverticulitis. Peptic ulcer. CHF. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Myasthenia gravis. Hypoprothrombinemia. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, macrolides), cyclosporine, estrogens. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin), ephedrine. May potentiate cyclosporine. May anatgonize anticoagulants (monitor), isoniazid, other CYP3A4 substrates (eg, indinavir, erythromycin). Increased risk of arrhythmias with digitalis. May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents. Increased GI effects with aspirin. Monitor for hypokalemia with potassium-depleting drugs (eg, amphotericin B, diuretics). Toxic epidermal necrolysis possible with thalidomide. Concomitant indomethacin: may get false-negative on dexamethasone suppression test. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, masks infection, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance, weight gain.
Intensol—30mL (w. dropper)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders