*** Type Here. Disease [include synonyms and ICD-9-CM codes]
Are You Confident of the Diagnosis?
What you should be alert for in the history
Characteristic findings on physical examination
Expected results of diagnostic studies [histopathology, serologic tests, genetic tests, imaging studies]
Diagnosis confirmation [Describe those conditions in the differential diagnosis that may reasonably mimic the diagnosis and explain their distinction]
Who is at Risk for Developing this Disease?
*** Type Here. [include epidemiology and other risk feadsactor]
What is the Cause of the Disease?
Systemic Implications and Complications
*** Type Here. [Discuss any associated systemic disorders, etiologies associated with the specific diagnosis, and detail the appropriate work-up and management for those concerns]
*** Type Here. Tabular listing of the therapeutic choices divided into medical options (subdivided into topical and systemic), surgical, and physical modalities (phototherapy, photodynamic therapy, radiation, intense pulsed light). Make the list in each subdivision in the order you would choose to treat the patient, in concert with the “therapeutic ladder” described below]
Optimal Therapeutic Approach for this Disease
*** Type Here. [Include your rationale and a stepwise approach up the so-called “therapeutic ladder” (beginning with your first treatment choices with the best efficacy and least risk, followed by your next choices that may not be as optimal from a risk/benefit perspective, and continuing onward to those options you would be least likely to choose from this perspective) ; Include what was listed in the table in the discussion; Consider how therapies may vary based on disease severity; Consider how any co-morbidities may affect your treatment decisions; Note the expected time for response to treatment and expected response rates]
*** Type Here. [How should the patient be monitored and followed up? What is maintenance therapy? What are the critical clinical junctures when therapy should be altered? What key information do you want to tell the patient and their family members about therapeutic options and their risk/benefit ratio?]
Unusual Clinical Scenarios to Consider in Patient Management
*** Type Here. [What unusual clinical scenarios or clinical conundrums should be considered in managing these patients? Use this section to include therapeutic knowledge that may not be readily considered]
What is the Evidence?
Copyright © 2017, 2012 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- "MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders "
- Early Intervention Services Superior to Treatment as Usual for Early-Phase Psychosis
- Depressive Symptoms Predict Future Pain, Disability in Adolescent JIA
- Gender-Related Association Between Physical Activity, Psychological Status in T2D