*** Type Here. Disease [include synonyms and ICD-9-CM codes]
Are You Confident of the Diagnosis?
What you should be alert for in the history
Characteristic findings on physical examination
Expected results of diagnostic studies [histopathology, serologic tests, genetic tests, imaging studies]
Diagnosis confirmation [Describe those conditions in the differential diagnosis that may reasonably mimic the diagnosis and explain their distinction]
Who is at Risk for Developing this Disease?
*** Type Here. [include epidemiology and other risk feadsactor]
What is the Cause of the Disease?
Systemic Implications and Complications
*** Type Here. [Discuss any associated systemic disorders, etiologies associated with the specific diagnosis, and detail the appropriate work-up and management for those concerns]
*** Type Here. Tabular listing of the therapeutic choices divided into medical options (subdivided into topical and systemic), surgical, and physical modalities (phototherapy, photodynamic therapy, radiation, intense pulsed light). Make the list in each subdivision in the order you would choose to treat the patient, in concert with the “therapeutic ladder” described below]
Optimal Therapeutic Approach for this Disease
*** Type Here. [Include your rationale and a stepwise approach up the so-called “therapeutic ladder” (beginning with your first treatment choices with the best efficacy and least risk, followed by your next choices that may not be as optimal from a risk/benefit perspective, and continuing onward to those options you would be least likely to choose from this perspective) ; Include what was listed in the table in the discussion; Consider how therapies may vary based on disease severity; Consider how any co-morbidities may affect your treatment decisions; Note the expected time for response to treatment and expected response rates]
*** Type Here. [How should the patient be monitored and followed up? What is maintenance therapy? What are the critical clinical junctures when therapy should be altered? What key information do you want to tell the patient and their family members about therapeutic options and their risk/benefit ratio?]
Unusual Clinical Scenarios to Consider in Patient Management
*** Type Here. [What unusual clinical scenarios or clinical conundrums should be considered in managing these patients? Use this section to include therapeutic knowledge that may not be readily considered]
What is the Evidence?
Copyright © 2017, 2012 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cost-Effectiveness of Atomoxetine for Treating Children with ADHD
- Efficacy of Drugs for Psychosis, Relapse Prevention for Bipolar Depression, Mania
- No Evidence of Cognitive Impairment With Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate in ADHD
- Differential Testosterone Levels in Men, Women With Schizophrenia
- Intervention Improves Quality of Life, Agitation in Nursing Home Patients With Dementia
- Substance-Induced Psychosis Associated With Development of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Neuropsychiatric Events May Be Linked to Nitrated Nucleosome Levels in Lupus
- New APA Guideline Recommendation for Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder
- Reducing PTSD Symptoms: Propranolol Before Reactivation Therapy
- Cannabis Use Associated With Subsequent Psychotic Experiences in Adolescents
- Antidepressants More Effective Than Placebo for Acute Depression in Adults
- Positive Beliefs About Age May Protect Older Adults Against Dementia
- Electrical Stimulation of Amygdala May Improve Long-Term Memory
- Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia May Be Reduced With MIN-101
- Apathy: An Important Predictor of Employment in Huntington Disease