Studies of the use of ketamine for depression revealed that the agent induces a rapid reduction in depressive symptoms and suicidal ideation in most patients.
Mark Zimmerman, MD, discusses controversies related to categorizing severity and identifying optimal treatment of depression.
Although the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the US Preventive Services Task Force recommend screening for depression in the general adult population, including pregnant and postpartum women, evidence for such screening in the perinatal setting is limited.
Adolescents infected with HIV have a greater risk for psychiatric hospitalizations compared with those not infected with HIV.
Approximately 15% of incarcerated people have serious mental illness, although that number can vary depending on the type of illness.
Investigators examined the efficacy of sertraline and interpersonal psychotherapy vs pill placebo over 12 weeks in woman with postpartum depression.
For adolescent girls, depression, but not anxiety, predicts future alcohol use.
The use of ezogabine, a KCNQ channel opener, may improve depression and anhedonic symptoms in patients with major depressive disorder.
Findings based on large study assessing genetic causal link, even without metabolic effects
For military veterans, in-person social interaction, but not social contact on Facebook, is associated with a significantly reduced risk for symptoms of major depression and PTSD.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Efficacy, Safety of Long-Term Ketamine Administration Still In Question
- Etiology of Schizophrenia: Strong Association With Certain Rare Copy Number Variants
- KCNQ Channel Potentiator Ezogabine Delivers Promising Results in Major Depressive Disorder
- Vulnerability to Psychosocial Disability in Psychosis
- FDA to Review Lumateperone for Treatment of Schizophrenia
- Cannabis Use, Cannabis Use Disorder Linked to Psychotic, Depressive Symptoms
- Abstinence From Regular Cannabis Use Improves Memory Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- Association Between Opioid and Benzodiazepine Misuse and Suicidal Ideation
- Group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Is Effective Treatment for Adolescent Anxiety
- The Intersection of Eating and Alcohol Disorders: Detecting and Managing "Drunkorexia"