Generic Name and Formulations:
Cytarabine 50mg/vial; liposomal suspension for intrathecal administration; preservative-free.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for DEPOCYT:
Intrathecal treatment of lymphomatous meningitis.
See literature. Give intrathecally over 1–5 minutes. Administer dexamethasone 4mg twice daily for 5 days with each cycle of treatment. Induction: 50mg every 14 days for 2 doses (weeks 1 and 3). Consolidation: 50mg every 14 days for 3 doses (weeks 5, 7 and 9) followed by 1 additional dose at week 13. Maintenance: 50mg every 28 days for 4 doses (weeks 17, 21, 25 and 29). Reduce dose to 25mg if neurotoxicity develops and discontinue if it persists.
Active meningeal infection.
Chemical arachnoiditis; reduce symptoms with dexamethasone. Previous irradiation, cytotoxic chemotherapy. Monitor blood counts and for development of neurotoxicity. Renal and hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of neurotoxicity with concomitant cranial/spinal irradiation or other intrathecal antineoplastics.
See literature. Arachnoiditis, GI upset, headache, fever, neurological toxicity (myelopathy), hydrocephalus, elevated CSF protein and WBC, weakness, back pain, insomnia, blurred vision, anaphylactic reactions; others.
Single-use vials (5mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Heavy Cigarette Smoking in Adolescence May Increase Risk for Psychosis
- CYP2C19 Genotyping Aids Risk Stratification, Individualized Therapy for Depression
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders