Generic Name and Formulations:
Metyrosine 250mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for DEMSER:
Treatment of pheochromocytoma for: preoperative preparation for surgery; or management when surgery is contraindicated. Chronic treatment in malignant pheochromocytoma.
Initially 250mg 4 times daily; may increase by 250–500mg daily up to max 4g/day in divided doses. Usual dose: 2–3g/day; monitor. If hypertensive, titrate dose to normalize BP and control symptoms; if normotensive, titrate dose to reduce urinary metanephrines and/or vanillylmandelic acid by ≥50%. Add an α-blocker (eg, phenoxybenzamine) if patients not adequately controlled. Pre-op prep: treat for at least 5–7 days.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Maintain adequate hydration; if crystalluria occurs, increase more fluids; if crystalluria persists, reduce dose or discontinue. Pre-op use: maintain adequate intravascular volume intra- and postoperatively. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Tyrosine hydroxylase inhibitor.
Increased CNS effects with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, hypnotics, sedatives, tranquilizers). Potentiates extrapyramidal effects of phenothiazines, haloperidol.
Sedation, diarrhea, extrapyramidal effects, anxiety, CNS disturbances, crystalluria; rare: hematological disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad