DDAVP RHINAL TUBE Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Desmopressin acetate 10mcg/0.1mL; intranasal soln.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for DDAVP RHINAL TUBE:
Central (cranial) diabetes insipidus. Temporary polyuria and polydipsia following head trauma or surgery in the pituitary region.
10–40mcg intranasally in 1–3 divided doses; usually 20mcg in two divided doses. Use rhinal tube for doses <10mcg or doses other than multiples of 10mcg.
<3months: not recommended. ≥3months: 5–30mcg daily intranasally in 1–2 divided doses. Use rhinal tube for doses <10mcg or doses other than multiples of 10mcg.
Moderate to severe renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min). Hyponatremia, or history of.
Monitor fluid intake, urine volume and osmolality. Fluid/electrolyte imbalance (eg, cystic fibrosis). Habitual or psychogenic polydipsia. Coronary artery insufficiency. Hypertension. Inj: Predisposition to thrombosis. Nasal mucosal changes (nasal forms). Young children. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with other pressor agents, drugs that may increase the risk of water intoxication with hyponatremia (eg, tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs, chlorpromazine, opiates, NSAIDs, lamotrigine, carbamazepine). Possible convulsions with oxybutynin, imipramine.
Headache, nausea, flushing, abdominal cramps, vulval pain, water intoxication, hyponatremia, nasal congestion or rhinitis (nasal forms), inj site reaction; rare: changes in BP, severe allergic reactions, seizures in children from plasma hypoosmolality, thrombotic events (inj).
Tabs—100; Nasal spray—5mL (50 sprays); Rhinal tube—2.5mL (w. 2 rhinal tubes); Amp (1mL)—10; Multi-dose vial (10mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases