Generic Name and Formulations:
Liothyronine sodium 5mcg, 25mcg, 50mcg; tabs.
Indications for CYTOMEL:
Hypothyroidism: initially 25mcg daily; may increase by up to 25mcg every 1–2 weeks; usual maintenance 25–75mcg daily. Myxedema, simple goiter: initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5–10mcg daily every 1–2 weeks to 25mcg daily, then may increase by 5–25mcg every 1–2 weeks (myxedema) or by 12.5 or 25mcg daily every 1–2 weeks (simple goiter). Maintenance: myxedema: 50–100mcg/day; simple goiter: 75mcg/day.
Initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5mcg daily every 3–4 days. Cretinism: maintenance dose: <1yr: 20mcg/day. 1–3 yrs: 50mcg/day. >3yrs: as adult.
Initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5mcg every 1–2 weeks.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis.
Larger doses particularly when given concomitantly with sympathomimetic amines for anorectic effects may produce serious or life-threatening toxicity.
Not for treatment of obesity or infertility (unless with hypothyroidism). Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: use lower initial dose. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Diabetes. Monitor for craniosynostosis in infants. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics, digoxin. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Monitor for hypertension with ketamine. Toxicity with larger doses of sympathomimetics (eg, anorectics).
Hyperthyroidism, transient hair loss in children.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents