Generic Name and Formulations:
Cytarabine 100mg, 500mg, 1g, 2g; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV, intrathecal, SC inj after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cytarabine:
Remission induction in acute non-lymphocytic leukemia of adults and children. Acute lymphocytic leukemia. Chronic myelocytic leukemia (blast phase). Prophylaxis and treatment of meningeal leukemia (intrathecal route).
Adults and Children:
Induction therapy of acute non-lymphocytic leukemia: 100mg/m2 per day by continuous IV infusion (days 1–7) or 100mg/m2 IV every 12 hours (days 1–7). Acute lymphocytic leukemia and chronic myelocytic leukemia: see literature. Meningeal leukemia: Usual range: 5–75mg/m2 intrathecally; may give once daily for 4 days to once every 4 days; most frequently used dose: 30mg/m2 every 4 days until cerebrospinal fluid findings are normal.
Do not use diluent with benzyl alcohol for intrathecal administration. Pre-existing myelosuppression. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor blood counts, renal, hepatic function. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers.
May antagonize gentamicin, fluorocytosine.
Myelosuppression (leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), GI upset, anorexia, abdominal pain, oral ulceration, rash, fever, hepatic dysfunction, infection, bleeding; cytarabine syndrome, hyperuricemia, pancreatitis, paralysis (rare), others.
Vials (100mg, 200mg)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation