Generic Name and Formulations:
Bromocriptine mesylate (micronized) 0.8mg; tabs.
Indications for CYCLOSET:
Adjunct to diet and exercise, to improve glycemic control in type 2 diabetes.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating type 1 diabetes or ketoacidosis. Limited efficacy data in combination with thiazolidinediones. Efficacy has not been confirmed in combination with insulin.
Take with food in the AM, within 2hrs of waking. Initially 0.8mg once daily; may increase by 0.8mg per week as tolerated until max 4.8mg/day. Usual range: 1.6–4.8mg/day. Concomitant moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin): max 1.6mg once daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, azole antimycotics, protease inhibitors): avoid.
Syncopal migraines. Nursing mothers. Allergy to ergot-related drugs.
Monitor orthostatic vital signs initially and periodically during therapy. Severe psychotic disorders: not recommended. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
See Adult. Concomitant selective 5-HT1B agonists (eg, sumatriptan), sympathomimetic drugs >10 days, ergot-related drugs within 6hrs, other dopamine agonists and antagonists, including neuroleptics (eg, clozapine, olanzapine, ziprasidone) and metoclopramide: not recommended. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors and antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, dexamethasone). Potentiates antihypertensives; caution. May potentiate highly protein bound drugs (eg, salicylates, sulfonamides, chloramphenicol, probenecid).
Dopamine agonist (ergot deriv).
Nausea, vomiting, fatigue, dizziness, headache; hypotension, syncope, somnolence, hypoglycemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders