Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyclopentolate HCl 0.5%, 1%, 2%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for CYCLOGYL:
To produce mydriasis and cycloplegia.
Instill 1 or 2 drops of 0.5%, 1%, or 2% in the eye; may repeat in 5–10 minutes if necessary. Apply digital pressure to lacrimal sac for 2–3 minutes after instillation to reduce systemic absorption.
Small infants: instill 1 drop of 0.5% in the eye; apply pressure over nasolacrimal sac for 2–3 minutes, observe closely for 30 minutes. Children: instill 1 or 2 drops of 0.5%, 1%, or 2% in the eye; may repeat 5–10 minutes later with 0.5% or 1% solution if necessary; apply digital pressure to lacrimal sac for 2–3 minutes after instillation to reduce systemic absorption.
Untreated narrow-angle glaucoma or when untreated anatomically narrow angles are present.
Down's syndrome. Angle-closure glaucoma. Feeding intolerance in infants; withhold feeding for 4 hours after examination. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May interfere with antihypertensive action of carbachol, pilocarpine, ophthalmic cholinesterase inhibitors.
Ocular effects (eg, increased intraocular pressure, burning, photophobia, blurred vision, irritation, hyperemia, conjunctivitis, blepharoconjunctivitis, punctate keratitis, synechiae); CNS disturbances (esp. in children).
Soln 0.5%—15mL; 1%, 2%—2mL, 5mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders