Cyclobenzaprine HCl Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyclobenzaprine HCl 5mg, 7.5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cyclobenzaprine HCl Tablets:
Relief of acute muscle spasm, as adjunct to rest and physical therapy.
≥15yrs: initially 5mg 3 times daily, may increase to 10mg 3 times daily; max 2–3 weeks. Elderly or mild hepatic impairment: initially 5mg and then titrate slowly upward.
<15yrs: not established.
Acute post-MI. Arrhythmias, heart block, other conduction disturbances. CHF. Hyperthyroidism. During or within 14 days of MAOIs.
Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment: not recommended. Urinary retention. Glaucoma. Increased intraocular pressure. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Muscle relaxant (central).
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. Increased risk of serotonin syndrome with other serotonergic drugs (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclic antidepressants, tramadol, bupropion, meperidine, verapamil, or MAOIs); monitor closely. Potentiates anticholinergics, alcohol, other CNS depressants. May antagonize guanethidine, clonidine. Tramadol increases seizure risk.
Drowsiness, dry mouth, dizziness, fatigue, headache, GI upset, asthenia, irritability, nervousness, blurred vision, confusion, arrhythmias, tachycardia, hypotension.
Formerly known under the brand names Flexeril, Fexmid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation