Generic Name and Formulations:
Progesterone (micronized) 8% (90mg/applicatorful); vaginal gel; contains mineral oil.
Indications for CRINONE:
Progesterone supplementation or replacement as part of an Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) treatment for infertile women with progesterone deficiency.
Supplementation: 1 applicatorful intravaginally once daily. Replacement: 1 applicatorful intravaginally twice daily. If pregnancy occurs, may continue treatment until placental autonomy is achieved (10–12 weeks).
Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding. Breast or genital carcinoma. Liver dysfunction or disease. Missed abortion. Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders.
Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Depression. Include Pap smear with pretreatment exam. Discontinue if signs of thrombotic disorders (eg, thrombophlebitis, cerebrovascular disorders, pulmonary embolism, retinal thrombosis) occur. Pregnancy: see literature. Nursing mothers.
Allow at least 6 hours between administration of this and other vaginally-administered products.
Mastodynia, constipation, somnolence, GI upset, headache, abdominal/perineal pain, nervousness, cramps, nocturia, depression, decreased libido, arthralgia, bloating, pain, vaginal candidiasis/discharge, dizziness, dyspareunia, pruritus genital, allergy, fatigue, urinary tract infection, others.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth