Generic Name and Formulations:
Fenoldopam mesylate 10mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains sodium metabisulfite.
Indications for CORLOPAM:
Adults: for the in-hospital, short-term (up to 48 hours) management of severe hypertension when rapid, but quickly reversible, emergency reduction of blood pressure is clinically indicated, including malignant hypertension with deteriorating end-organ function. Children: for the in-hospital, short-term (up to 4 hours) reduction in blood pressure.
Give by continuous IV infusion. Doses from 0.01–1.6mcg/kg/min have been studied. Initial dose should be titrated upward or downward, no more frequently than every 15 minutes (and less frequently as goal pressure is approached) to achieve desired therapeutic effect. The recommended increments for titration are 0.05–0.1mcg/kg/min.
Give by continuous infusion pump appropriate for delivery of low infusion rates. Usual starting dose: 0.2mcg/kg/min; increased dosages of up to 0.3–0.5mcg/kg/min every 20–30 minutes were generally well tolerated.
Sulfite sensitivity. Glaucoma. Intraocular hypertension. Increased intracranial pressure. Acute cerebral infarction. Hemorrhage. Monitor BP, electrolytes. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Dopamine D1-like receptor agonist.
Avoid concomitant β-blockers.
Headache, flushing, nausea, hypotension, tachycardia, hypokalemia.
Single-dose ampule (1mL, 2mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth