Generic Name and Formulations:
Entacapone 200mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for COMTAN:
Adjunct to levodopa/ carbidopa in patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease and end-of-dose wearing off.
200mg with each dose of levodopa/carbidopa, up to 8 times daily.
Dyskinesias. Pre-existing somnolence or sleep disorders. Major psychotic disorder: not recommended. Impulse control disorders; consider dose reduction or discontinue if occurs. Perform skin exams to monitor for melanoma. Discontinue if prolonged diarrhea suspected. Hepatic impairment. Biliary obstruction. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Nonselective MAOIs: not recommended. Consider reducing levodopa dose. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Chelates iron. Cardiac effects with drugs metabolized by COMT (eg, epinephrine, isoproterenol, norepinephrine, dopamine, dobutamine, methyldopa, apomorphine, isoetherine, bitolterol). Caution with drugs that interfere with biliary excretion, glucuronidation, intestinal beta-glucuronidase (eg, probenecid, cholestyramine, erythromycin, rifampicin, ampicillin, chloramphenicol). Monitor INR with warfarin. Reduced efficacy with some antipsychotics.
Dyskinesia, nausea, urine discoloration, hyperkinesia, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, dry mouth, back pain, dyspnea, somnolence, anxiety, sweating, purpura, asthenia, taste perversion; rarely: orthostatic hypotension, syncope, hallucinations, rhabdomyolysis, hyperpyrexia and confusion upon withdrawal.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation