Generic Name and Formulations:
Brimonidine tartrate 0.2%, timolol (as maleate) 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for COMBIGAN:
To reduce elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) in glaucoma or ocular hypertension where adjunctive or replacement therapy is warranted.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: contraindicated. ≥2yrs: 1 drop every 12 hours.
Bronchial asthma or history of. Severe COPD. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. Neonates and infants <2yrs of age.
Potential for severe respiratory or cardiac reactions. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure and before surgery. Mild to moderate COPD, bronchospastic disease: not recommended. Depression. Cerebral or coronary insufficiency. Raynaud's phenomenon. Orthostatic hypotension. Thromboangiitis obliterans. Myasthenia gravis. Renal or hepatic impairment. May mask hypoglycemia, thyrotoxicosis. Soft contact lenses (remove; may reinsert 15 minutes after instillation). Separate dosing of other oph drugs by ≥5 minutes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Alpha-2 agonist + noncardioselective beta-blocker.
Avoid other topical β-blockers. May potentiate, or be potentiated by, other CNS depressants, systemic β-blockers, reserpine, quinidine, SSRIs, other CYP2D6 inhibitors. Caution with antihypertensives, systemic β-blockers, MAOIs, tricyclics. May cause conduction defects (eg, prolonged AV conduction) with digoxin, calcium channel blockers (avoid concomitant use in impaired cardiac function). May block systemic epinephrine.
Allergic conjunctivitis, conjunctival folliculosis, conjunctival hyperemia, pruritus, ocular burning/stinging, asthenia, corneal erosion, depression, epiphora, visual disturbance, headache, hypertension, dry mouth, somnolence, blepharitis, ocular hypersensitivity.
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad