COLESTID TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Colestipol HCl (micronized) 1g.
Indications for COLESTID TABLETS:
Adjunct to diet to lower elevated serum total-C and LDL-C in primary hypercholesterolemia.
Do not crush, chew, or cut. Take with adequate fluids. Initially 2g once or twice daily, then increase by 2g once or twice daily at 1–2 month intervals. Usual maintenance: 2–16g/day in 1 or more divided doses.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. Consider reducing dose, discontinuing, or alternative therapy if significant increase in triglycerides occur. May need Vit. A, D and K supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (eg, hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Constipation; increase fluid/fiber intake or add a stool softener. Hemorrhoids. Phenylketonurics (flavored Colestid). Monitor thyroid function. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Reduces absorption of folic acid, fat soluble vitamins, thiazides, furosemide, tetracycline, penicillin G, gemfibrozil, mycophenolic acid, others; monitor digitalis, propranolol; give other drugs at least 1hr before or 4hrs after. May affect absorption of oral phosphate supplements, hydrocortisone.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravated hemorrhoids, abdominal pain/cramp, gas, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, Vit. A, D, K deficiencies or hyperchloremic acidosis with prolonged use.
Unflavored 5g pkt—30, 90; Bulk—300g, 500g (w. scoop); Flavored 7.5g pkt—60; Bulk—450g (w. scoop); Tabs—120
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation