Generic Name and Formulations:
Colchicinum 4X; per gram; 0.25mL per each pump depression; transdermal gel.
Indications for COLCIGEL:
Treatment and prophylaxis of acute gout flares.
One dose (0.25mL–1mL) = 1–4 pumps. Treatment: Apply 1–4 pumps (0.25mL–1mL) at first sign of gout flare, then 1–4 pumps (0.25mL–1mL) as needed up to every hour; max 6 pumps (1.5mL) in a 1-hour period and 16 pumps (4 doses) in a 24-hour period. May be given during prophylaxis at max 2 pumps at first sign of flare, then 2 pumps hourly up to 3 doses as needed. Wait 12 hours, then resume prophylactic dose. Prophylaxis: >16yrs: Apply 1–3 pumps (0.25mL–0.75mL) twice daily; max 6 pumps (1.5mL) in a 24-hour period. Dose modification in renal or hepatic impairment: see full labeling.
Traumatized skin. Secondary bacterial infection of affected area. Concomitant P-glycoprotein or strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (except fosamprenavir) in severe renal or hepatic impairment (life-threatening toxicity was reported with oral colchicine).
Avoid eyes. Discontinue if irritation, sensitivity, infection, or toxicity is suspected or occurs. Increased risk of neuromuscular toxicity in renal impairment or elderly patients. Renal or hepatic impairment. Undergoing dialysis (treatment): not recommended; (prophylaxis): monitor closely. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Concomitant P-glycoprotein and/or CYP3A4 inhibitors; monitor for colchicine toxicity. Concomitant statins, gemfibrozil, fibrates, and cyclosporine may potentiate myopathy.
Skin irritation at site of application; possible blood dyscrasias, overdosage (may be fatal).
Gel—30mL (2 X 15mL bottles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Genetic Variations Associated With Empathy Affect Psychiatric Conditions
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed