Generic Name and Formulations:
Cilostazol 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cilostazol:
100mg twice daily, ½ hr before or 2 hrs after breakfast and dinner. May reduce to 50mg twice daily if used with CYP3A4 or CYP2C19 inhibitors.
Heart failure of any severity.
Risk of tachycardia, palpitation, tachyarrhythmia, or hypotension. Risk of exacerbations of angina pectoris or MI in patients with history of ischemic heart disease. LV outflow tract obstruction: monitor for development of a new systolic murmur or cardiac symptoms. Monitor platelets and WBC periodically. Avoid use in hemostatic disorders or active pathologic bleeding. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Severe renal impairment. Dialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by drugs that inhibit CYP3A4 (eg, azole antifungals, macrolides, diltiazem, protease inhibitors) or CYP2C19 (eg, omeprazole, fluconazole, fluoxetine, ticlopidine). Avoid grapefruit juice. Cilostazol has been used with aspirin; caution with other antiplatelets, anticoagulants.
Phosphodiesterase 3 (PDE3) inhibitor.
Headache, diarrhea, abnormal stools, palpitations, peripheral edema, dizziness, pharyngitis, infection, tachycardia; rare: thrombocytopenia, leukopenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders