Generic Name and Formulations:
Cholestyramine resin (as Cl) 4g; per 9g packet or scoop.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cholestyramine:
Hypercholesterolemia alone or with hypertriglyceridemia resistant to dietary management. Reduction in risk of coronary heart disease. Pruritus due to partial biliary obstruction.
Initially 1 packet or scoop mixed with fluid or food 1–2 times daily. Maintenance: 2–4 packets or scoops divided into 2 doses; max 6 packets or scoops daily. Increase at 4 week intervals.
See full labeling.
Complete biliary obstruction.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. May need Vit. A, D, K, and folic acid supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (e.g., hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Favorable trend in cholesterol reduction usually occurs within 1 month; continue therapy to sustain reduction. Phenylketonuria (Light formulation). Constipation. Hemorrhoids. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Inhibits absorption of phenylbutazone, warfarin, chlorothiazide, propranolol, tetracycline, penicillin G, phenobarbital, thyroid drugs, digitalis, many others; give other drugs 1–2 hours before or 4–6 hours after. Additive effects with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, nicotinic acid.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravation of hemorrhoids, GI disturbances, osteoporosis, Vit. A, D, K, or folic acid deficiencies, increased bleeding, hyperchloremic acidosis, rash, oral or anal irritation.
Formerly known under the brand name Questran.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad