Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlorzoxazone 375mg, 750mg+; tabs; +scored.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Chlorzoxazone:
As adjunct to rest, physical therapy, and other measures in acute, painful musculoskeletal conditions.
375mg: 1 tab 3–4 times daily; may increase to 2 tabs (750mg) 3–4 times daily if inadequate response. 750mg: ⅓ tab (250mg) 3–4 times daily. Painful musculoskeletal conditions: initially ⅔ tab (500mg) 3–4 times daily; may increase to 1 tab (750mg) 3–4 times daily if inadequate response. May reduce dose based on improvement.
Known drug intolerance.
Monitor for hepatotoxicity; discontinue if hepatic dysfunction or abnormal liver enzymes develop. Known allergies or history of. Discontinue if sensitivity reaction occurs. Pregnancy.
Additive effects with concomitant alcohol, other CNS depressants.
Muscle relaxant (central).
Drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, malaise, overstimulation; rare: skin rash, petechiae, ecchymosis, fatal hepatocellular toxicity.
Formerly known under the brand name Lorzone.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders