American Psychiatric Association data reveal that between 3% and 7% of U.S. school age children have some form of ADHD. Read more about the disorder and recommended treatments in this slideshow.
Latest in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry
Children reared in an institution are found to have increased vulnerability to psychopathology diagnoses between childhood and adolescence.
Youth who engage in self-harm should be a prioritized group for assessment and targeted treatment.
Parents' use of digital devices may exacerbate their child's poor behavior.
This research suggests that combination therapy not only produces greater proportional response in depression symptoms but that it is also effective in a broader range of individuals.
Talk and interaction during early childhood, especially during 18 to 24 months, is associated with language and cognitive outcomes.
Paternal Antisocial Personality Traits, Maternal Postpartum Depression Affect Early Aggressive Behavior
These findings indicate the importance of investigating paternal in addition to maternal psychiatric status when evaluating early aggressive behavior in children, especially because the 2 factors can interact in surprising ways.
These findings suggest that child maltreatment affects physical health in adulthood.
Compared with controls, those with subthreshold ADHD experienced greater impairments in social functioning and had higher rates of requiring extra help in school.
These findings indicate that developmental changes are part of the etiology of psychotic disorders, and compensatory cognitive control could be a mechanism to contextualize the psychotic-like experiences precluding psychosis during adolescence.
The current study aims to test the effectiveness of a video-feedback intervention in increasing caregiver sensitivity to foster children.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction