American Psychiatric Association data reveal that between 3% and 7% of U.S. school age children have some form of ADHD. Read more about the disorder and recommended treatments in this slideshow.
Latest in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry
Infections requiring hospitalization or treatment with anti-infective agents are associated with an increased subsequent risk for mental disorders.
Teen patients with epilepsy experience high levels of depressive symptoms, with 13% requiring behavioral health interventions.
The USPSTF concludes that the evidence on the benefits and harms of primary care interventions for preventing child maltreatment is currently inadequate.
Investigators examined the effect of early trauma on impulsivity and the feature of impulsivity in bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, and ADHD.
Pathways for Intellectual Disability in Children: Maternal Mental Illness vs Obstetric Complications
Investigators sought to determine the relationship between familial severe mental illness vs obstetric complications and the risk for developing intellectual disability
From 2012 to 2016 there was an increase in the number of children visiting pediatric emergency departments with mental health-related diagnoses.
Children reared in an institution are found to have increased vulnerability to psychopathology diagnoses between childhood and adolescence.
Youth who engage in self-harm should be a prioritized group for assessment and targeted treatment.
Parents' use of digital devices may exacerbate their child's poor behavior.
This research suggests that combination therapy not only produces greater proportional response in depression symptoms but that it is also effective in a broader range of individuals.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Etiology of Schizophrenia: Strong Association With Certain Rare Copy Number Variants
- Long-Term Lithium Use: More Evidence Needed to Associate With Cancer Risk
- FDA to Review Lumateperone for Treatment of Schizophrenia
- Revised Children's Anxiety and Depression Scales Reliable Measurement Tool for Adults
- AMA Survey Collects Advice for Physicians Approaching Retirement
- Cannabis Use, Cannabis Use Disorder Linked to Psychotic, Depressive Symptoms
- Abstinence From Regular Cannabis Use Improves Memory Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- Group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Is Effective Treatment for Adolescent Anxiety
- Association Between Opioid and Benzodiazepine Misuse and Suicidal Ideation
- The Intersection of Eating and Alcohol Disorders: Detecting and Managing "Drunkorexia"
- Cognition, Depression, and Limited Functioning Linked in Middle Age
- Coping With Challenges When Working the Holidays
- Lithium Preferred Method of Maintenance Monotherapy in Older Adults With Bipolar Disorder
- Hypobetalipoproteinemia Associated With Aggression and Schizophrenia
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information