American Psychiatric Association data reveal that between 3% and 7% of U.S. school age children have some form of ADHD. Read more about the disorder and recommended treatments in this slideshow.
Latest in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry
These results suggest a significant need for psychiatric resources for children placed in foster care or other out-of-home circumstances.
These data provide insight into the specific risk factors for nonadherence in youths with mental disorders.
The short forms each displayed diagnostic accuracy comparable with that of the full-length scales.
Marijuana usage is increasing in adolescents, and the rate of comorbidity with mood and anxiety disorders is high. These findings may aid in identifying adolescents who are potentially at risk.
These data emphasize the important role of parents and teachers in detecting mental health needs in adolescents.
Although emotional abuse and neglect may not be as easily detected as other forms of maltreatment, professionals must be aware of their long-term effect on nonsuicidal self-injury likelihood.
Parents' adverse childhood events, such as abuse, neglect, or household dysfunction, can impact their children's lives.
These findings support initiatives targeted at reducing the effect of negative early childhood experiences on psychopathology.
TECH parenting framework can promote positive and specific media parenting behaviors that could help mitigate the potential negative impacts of media consumption for youth.
Nonstimulants may be an appropriate alternative in cases in which co-occurring conditions might prevent the administration of stimulants.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents