Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
Pathways for Intellectual Disability in Children: Maternal Mental Illness vs Obstetric ComplicationsNovember 14, 2018
Investigators sought to determine the relationship between familial severe mental illness vs obstetric complications and the risk for developing intellectual disability
These results challenge existing conceptions that omega-3 fatty acids may be effective in treating adolescent major depressive disorder.
Youth with gender nonconformity are vulnerable to experiencing adversity.
Adolescents have an increased risk of suicide after nonfatal self-harm.
Researchers identified 9 trials examining the efficacy of SSRIs or SSNRIs in the treatment of social, generalized and/or separation anxiety disorder in pediatric patients.
Teen pregnancy is higher among sexual minorities due to maltreatment and bullying.
Investigators believe this is the most comprehensive analysis of epigenetic alterations due to victimization stress in a pediatric population.
Providing healthy eating and adequate nutrients to a baby during their first 1000 days is important for optimal neurodevelopment.
Researchers found a positive association between paternal and adolescent depressive symptoms.
Adolescents with depression do not have more densely connected networks.
Siblings with prenatal exposure to glucocorticoids were also compared with siblings with no exposure.
Multivitamin supplementation during pregnancy is tied to a reduced risk of autism spectrum disorder with intellectual disability.
Type 2 diabetes is greater with second-generation antipsychotics than with non-second-generation antipsychotic psychotropic medications for patients aged 6 to 25 years.
Combination treatment may provide relief from the distinctive symptoms of severe, recurrent temper outbursts and persistent irritability.
Recent changes in our understanding of autism are driving advances in diagnosis, evidence-based treatment, and ultimately patient outcomes.
Siblings of children with disabilities may experience a "wide range of emotions.
Depression severity was inversely associated, prospectively, with body mass index (BMI), fat mass index, and lean BMI z scores.
Individual psychotherapy is a recommended treatment for anxiety in children and adolescents with migraine.
Mental health and behavioral screenings should be routine part of care for pediatric patients with diabetes.
Children with ASD do not benefit from the use of nutritional supplements or dietary therapies for children with ASD, according to researchers.
As a result of impaired coronary distensibility index, individuals with adverse childhood experience may have a greater risk for MACE.
Children with celiac disease are at a 1.4-fold increased risk for psychiatric disorders.
Planning for transitioning from pediatric care to adult care beings when the patients is a child or adolescent.
Cardiac safety is integral to child and adolescent antipsychotic therapy.
Childhood emotional abuse may directly lead to the development of migraine in young adults.
Incidence rate ratios were more increased for parental diagnoses of antisocial personality, cannabis use, and parental suicide attempt.
Children and teens who used stimulants for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder had lower bone mineral content and bone density than nonusers.
National Suicide Prevention Week, September 5 - 11, 2016
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation of Prefrontal Cortex in Trait Anxiety
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Updates in Borderline Personality Disorder: Your Questions Answered
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Shame Drives Suicidal Ideation Among Veterans With PTSD
- Long-term Healthy Diet Associated With Greater Hippocampal Volumes
- Updated Intimate Partner Violence Screening Recommendations for Women
- Patient-Rated Insight Lower Than Clinician-Rated Insight in Schizophrenia
- Multisector Goal Alignment May Curb Medicare Expenditures
- Testosterone Treatment Reduces Symptoms of Depression in Men
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents