Generic Name and Formulations:
Daunorubicin HCl 20mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corp.
Indications for CERUBIDINE:
In combination with other chemotherapy for remission induction in acute nonlymphocytic leukemia (myelogenous, monocytic, erythroid) of adults and for remission induction in acute lymphocytic leukemia of children and adults.
Give by IV infusion. Acute nonlymphocytic leukemia (in combination with cytosine arabinoside): <60yrs: 45mg/m2 daily on days 1, 2 and 3 of the first course and on days 1, 2 of subsequent courses; ≥60yrs: 30mg/m2 daily on days 1, 2 and 3 of the first course and on days 1, 2 of subsequent courses. Acute lymphocytic leukemia (in combination with vincristine, prednisone, L-asparaginase): 45mg/m2 daily on days 1, 2 and 3. Hepatic or renal impairment: reduce dose (see literature).
Give by IV infusion. <2yrs or BSA<0.5m2: use weight (mg/kg) to calculate dose. 25mg/m2 on day 1 every week (in combination with vincristine and prednisone).
Treat if any systemic infections 1st. Pre-existing drug-induced bone marrow suppression. Cardiovascular disease, thoracic irradiation, previous doxorubicin therapy (cumulative doses >550mg/m2): increased risk of cardiotoxicity. Monitor blood counts, cardiac, hepatic and renal function prior to each treatment. Renal or hepatic impairment. Hyperuricemia; monitor blood uric acid levels and give allopurinol prophylatically. Avoid extravasation. Children. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat. D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Do not use if previously received max cumulative doxorubicin dose; or if concomitant with cyclophosphamide: increased cardiotoxicity. Concomitant myelosuppressives: consider dose reduction. Increased risk of liver toxicity with hepatotoxic agents (eg, high-dose methotrexate).
Myelosuppression, cardiotoxicity, alopecia, rash, inj site reactions, GI upset, mucositis, abdominal pain, hyperuricemia; rare: anaphylaxis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation