Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefprozil 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefprozil:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections, including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, secondary bacterial infection of acute bronchitis, acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, acute sinusitis, skin and skin structure, otitis media.
≥13yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 500mg every 24hrs. Acute sinusitis: 250mg (mild) or 500mg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Bronchitis: 500mg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: 250mg every 12hrs or 500mg every 12–24hrs. All: for 10 days. CrCl<30mL/min: 50% of standard dose.
Otitis media: <6 months: not recommended; 6 months to 12yrs: 15mg/kg every 12hrs. Acute sinusitis: <6 months: not recommended; 6months to 12yrs: 7.5mg/kg (mild) or 15mg/kg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 7.5mg/kg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 20mg/kg every 24hrs. All: for 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment, reduce dose. Monitor renal function. GI disease (esp. colitis). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs, including aminoglycosides. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest.
GI upset, elevated liver enzymes, dizziness.
Formerly known under the brand name Cefzil.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation