Cefprozil Oral Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefprozil 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL; bubble-gum flavor; contains phenylalanine.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefprozil Oral Suspension:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections, including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, secondary bacterial infection of acute bronchitis, acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, acute sinusitis, skin and skin structure, otitis media.
≥13yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 500mg every 24hrs. Acute sinusitis: 250mg (mild) or 500mg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Bronchitis: 500mg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: 250mg every 12hrs or 500mg every 12–24hrs. All: for 10 days. CrCl<30mL/min: 50% of standard dose.
Otitis media: <6 months: not recommended; 6 months to 12yrs: 15mg/kg every 12hrs. Acute sinusitis: <6 months: not recommended; 6months to 12yrs: 7.5mg/kg (mild) or 15mg/kg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 7.5mg/kg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 20mg/kg every 24hrs. All: for 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment, reduce dose. Monitor renal function. GI disease (esp. colitis). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs, including aminoglycosides. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest.
GI upset, elevated liver enzymes, dizziness.
Formerly known under the brand name Cefzil.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition