Cefoxitin Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefoxitin sodium 1g, 2g; for IV inj; sodium content 2.3mEq/g.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefoxitin Injection:
Susceptible bacterial septicemia, lower respiratory or urinary tract, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, gynecologic, intraabdominal infections. Surgical prophylaxis.
Usually 1–2g every 6–8hrs. Uncomplicated: 1g every 6–8hrs. Moderately severe to severe: 1g every 4hrs or 2g every 6–8hrs. Max 2g every 4hrs or 3g every 6hrs. Prophylaxis: see literature.
<3months: not recommended. ≥3months: 80–160mg/kg per day in 4–6 equal divided doses; max 12g/day. Prophylaxis: see literature.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min), reduce dose: see literature. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Aminoglycosides may potentiate nephrotoxicity. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest. May interfere with creatinine tests.
Local reactions, rash, pruritus, drug fever, GI upset, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes.
Formerly known under the brand name Mefoxin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad