Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefotetan disodium 1g, 2g; IM or IV inj; sodium content 3.5mEq/g.
Indications for CEFOTAN:
Susceptible lower respiratory tract or urinary tract, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, gynecologic, intraabdominal infections. Surgical prophylaxis.
IV: inject over 3–5mins. UTI: 500mg IV or IM every 12hrs or 1–2g IV or IM every 12–24hrs. Mild to moderate skin and skin structures: 2g IV every 24hrs or 1g IV or IM every 12hrs. Severe skin and skin structure: 2g IV every 12hrs. Other sites: 1–2g IV or IM every 12hrs. Severe: 2g IV every 12hrs. Life threatening: 3g IV every 12hrs; max 6g/day. Prophylaxis: 1–2g IV once 30–60 mins before surgery. CrCl <30mL/min: reduce dose or frequency, see full labeling. Hemodialysis: give ¼ of the usual dose every 24hrs on days between dialysis and ½ the usual dose on dialysis days.
Previous cephalosporin-associated hemolytic anemia.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if allergic reaction occurs. Have epinephrine and other emergency measures available. Renal impairment. Renal or hepatobiliary dysfunction, poor nutritional state, cancer patients, or elderly: monitor prothrombin time. Monitor for hemolytic anemia or superinfection with prolonged use. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid alcohol for 72 hours after dosing. Increased nephrotoxicity with concomitant aminoglycoside; monitor renal function. May cause false (+) Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. May interfere with creatinine tests.
Diarrhea, nausea, rash, itching, local reactions, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes, fever; C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad