Cefadroxil Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefadroxil 250mg/5mL, 500mg/5mL; orange-pineapple flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefadroxil Suspension:
Susceptible urinary tract, skin and skin structure infections, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, impetigo.
Uncomplicated UTI: 1–2g once daily or in 2 divided doses. Complicated UTI: 2g/day in 2 divided doses. Skin and skin structure infections: 1g once daily or in 2 divided doses. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 1g once daily or in 2 divided doses for 10 days. Renal dysfunction (CrCl <50mL/min): 1g loading dose, then 500mg at increased dosing intervals (see literature). Continue for 3 days after symptoms improve.
UTI, skin and skin structure infections: 30mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses every 12 hours. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis, impetigo: 30mg/kg once daily or in 2 divided doses for 10 days. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose (see literature). Continue for 3 days after symptoms improve.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Impaired renal function (CrCl <50mL/min). GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest or Coomb's test.
GI upset, anaphylaxis, rash; blood dyscrasias (rare).
Formerly known under the brand names Duricef, Ultracef.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD