Cefaclor Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefaclor 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL, 375mg/5mL; strawberry flavor.
Indications for Cefaclor Suspension:
Susceptible infections including otitis media, lower respiratory or urinary tract, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, skin and skin structure.
250–500mg every 8 hrs.
<1month: not recommended. ≥1month: 20mg/kg per day in 3 equally divided doses. Otitis media, more serious or less susceptible infections: 40mg/kg per day in 3 equally divided doses (may give in 2 divided doses for pharyngitis or otitis media); max 1g/day.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Severe renal dysfunction. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) Coomb's test or glucose test with Clinitest or Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. Monitor warfarin. ER: antagonized by concomitant (within 1 hr) aluminum or magnesium-containing antacids.
Headache, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias, hepatic dysfunction, cough, CNS stimulation, serum-sickness-like reactions.
Formerly known under the brand names Ceclor CD (ext-rel tabs); Ceclor (caps, susp); Raniclor (caps).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders