Generic Name and Formulations:
Aztreonam 75mg/vial; pwd for inhalation via nebulization after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Indications for CAYSTON:
To improve respiratory symptoms in cystic fibrosis patients with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not established. Use a short-acting bronchodilator 15 minutes to 4 hours before each dose; or a long-acting bronchodilator 30 minutes to 12 hours before starting therapy. >7yrs: 75mg (1 vial) by nebulization three times daily (at least 4 hours apart) for 28 days. Use Altera Nebulizer only.
Monobactam or beta-lactam allergy. FEV<25% or >75% predicted, patients colonized with Burkholderia cepacia: safety/effectiveness not established. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Do not mix with other drugs in nebulizer.
Cough, nasal congestion, wheezing, pharyngolaryngeal pain, pyrexia, chest discomfort, abdominal pain, vomiting, rash; chest tightness, bronchospasm, allergic reactions (discontinue if occurs).
To support and assist patients with cystic fibrosis contact the Cayston Access Program at (877) 7CAYSTON. Should be administered immediately after reconstitution. Do not reconstitute until ready to administer a dose.
Vials—84 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users