CARNITOR INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Levocarnitine 1g/5mL; soln for IV bolus inj or infusion; preservative-free.
Leadiant Biosciences, Inc.
Indications for CARNITOR INJECTION:
Secondary carnitine deficiency. Carnitine deficiency in end stage renal disease (ESRD) patients undergoing dialysis.
Adults and Children:
Secondary carnitine deficiency: 50mg/kg as slow (2–3mins) IV bolus inj or infusion; usual max 300mg/kg. May give loading dose in severe metabolic crisis: see full labeling. ESRD: initially 10–20mg/kg dry body weight as slow (2–3mins) IV bolus inj into venous return line after each dialysis session; adjust dose based on trough levocarnitine levels.
Obtain baseline carnitine level; monitor blood chemistry, carnitine levels, vital signs, clinical condition. Seizure disorders. Renal insufficiency (oral forms). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Monitor INR with warfarin.
GI upset/pain, body odor, seizures; hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occur). Inj: also inj site reactions.
Tabs—90; Oral soln—118mL; Single-dose vials (5mL)—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation