CARAFATE SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Indications for CARAFATE SUSPENSION:
Short-term (up to 8 weeks) treatment of active duodenal ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcers (tabs only).
Active: 1g 4 times daily on an empty stomach for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 1g 2 times daily.
Susp: administer by oral route only; do not give intravenously. Monitor for glycemia in diabetic patients. Chronic renal failure. Dialysis. Tabs: swallowing impairment (eg, recent or prolonged intubation, tracheostomy, history of aspiration, dysphagia, others). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid antacids within 30mins of dosing. May reduce absorption of tetracyclines, quinidine, levothyroxine, phenytoin, cimetidine, digoxin, ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, ketoconazole, ranitidine, theophylline; dose concomitant drugs 2hrs before sucralfate. Additive aluminum load with aluminum-containing antacids. Monitor warfarin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases