Generic Name and Formulations:
Captopril, hydrochlorothiazide; 25mg/15mg, 25mg/25mg, 50mg/15mg, 50mg/25mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Captopril/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Take 1 hr before meals. As initial therapy: one 25/15 tab daily; adjust at 6 wk intervals. Previously titrated: use same doses as individual components. Usual max 150mg captopril, 50mg hydrochlorothiazide daily.
See full labeling.
Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. History of ACEI-associated angioedema.
Fetal toxicity may develop: discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Salt/volume depletion. CHF. Dialysis (esp. high-flux membrane). Aortic stenosis. Diabetes. Gout. Asthma. Postsympathectomy. Surgery. Monitor electrolytes. Monitor WBCs and renal function in renal and collagen vascular disease. Discontinue if neutropenia, agranulocytosis, angioedema or laryngeal edema occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.D in 2nd and 3rd trimesters). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
ACE inhibitor + diuretic.
Potentiated by antihypertensives. Potentiates tubocurarine. May antagonize sulfonylureas, oral anticoagulants, uricosurics. May be antagonized by NSAIDs, sympathomimetics. May increase digitalis, lithium, insulin, diazoxide toxicity. Hyperkalemia with potassium-sparing diuretics and supplements. Hypokalemia with ACTH, corticosteroids. Orthostatic hypotension may be increased by alcohol, CNS depressants. May interfere with parathyroid, urinary acetone tests.
Neutropenia, agranulocytosis, proteinuria, nephrotic syndrome, orthostatic hypotension, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, rash, GI upset, dysgeusia, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, dizziness, headache, cough, pruritus, angioedema, tachycardia, chest pain, jaundice, blurred vision.
Formerly known under the brand name Capozide.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice