Generic Name and Formulations:
Capreomycin (as sulfate) 1g/vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution, or IM inj after reconstitution.
Indications for CAPASTAT:
Adjunct in susceptible tuberculosis when first-line agents (INH, rifampin, ethambutol, aminosalicylic acid, streptomycin) are inappropriate.
Give by IV infusion over 1 hour or deep IM inj. 1g (max 20mg/kg) daily for 60–120 days, then 1g (max 20mg/kg) 2–3 times per week; max 20mg/kg per day. Treat for 12–24 months. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose (see full labeling).
Use with extreme caution in patients with renal insufficiency or preexisting auditory impairment. Usage in pregnancy or pediatric.
Renal or auditory impairment. Monitor vestibular and auditory function at baseline and during therapy. Monitor renal function at baseline and during therapy; reduce dose or discontinue if BUN>30mg/dL or if renal function decreases. Monitor hepatic function and serum potassium. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C; teratogenic; see full labeling). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant streptomycin, other parenteral antituberculars: not recommended. Increased toxicity with other neuro/ototoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides).
Neurotoxicity (esp. ototoxicity), renal toxicity, leukocytosis, leukopenia, abnormal liver function tests, inj site reactions (eg, pain, induration, bleeding), rash.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases