Both early-onset cannabis users and late-onset cannabis users had an increased risk for psychotic experiences at age 18.
Frequent cannabis use was associated with subsequent hypomania.
Cannabis use disorder is also rising faster in states that have legalized marjiuana.
The crystal structure may provide inspiration for designing drugs that refine efficacy and avoid adverse events.
Researchers find heavy users have lower bone density than cigarette smokers.
Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive chemical ingredient in cannabis.
One minute of exposure impaired endothelial function in rats for at least 90 minutes.
Marijuana-laced candy and baked goods are attractive to children, increasing calls to poison centers.
The increased use of synthetic cannabinoids presents a serious public health threat.
Alterations in reward processing may increase users' risk of continued drug use and subsequent addiction.
Chronic and severe cannabis-dependence is associated with deficits in striatal dopamine release.
Marijuana use is associated with development of various neuropsychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia, anxiety, and depression.
Cannabis use disorder (CUD) is currently the most widely reported illegal substance use disorder.
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
Prolonged cannabis use is a risk factor for periodontal disease.
The increased use of synthetic cannabinoids presents a public health threat.
Study links heavy cannabis use in male teens to increased mortality by age 60.
Genome-wide association identified 3 independent regions with single nucleotide polymorphisms.
Questions remain as to whether botanically-derived marijuana offers clinical benefit over pharmaceutical-grade THC, its active ingredient.
Visits to the emergency department for out-of-state individuals increased following legalization of cannabis in Colorado.
Healthy participants with a variation in the AKT1 gene were at higher risk of acute psychotic response to cannabis.
Smoking pot, however, is significantly associated with any substance use, alcohol use, drug use disorders.
Users whose cumulative marijuana use exceeded the equivalent of one joint a day for five years had a significant decline in verbal memory in middle age.
Found more likely to smoke, drink, and use illegal drugs and steroids.
If the link between neural noise and psychosis is confirmed, it could help researchers have a better understanding of schizophrenia symptoms.
Frequent use of high-potency marijuana was associated with a higher level of white matter damage.
About 4% of Americans are currently battling a substance-use disorder.
A certain variation in a gene was associated with cannabis dependence in child abuse victims.
The most notable increases in marijuana use were in women, blacks, Hispanics, people living in the South, and those middle-aged or older.
Brain researcher says no studies have ever demonstrated that there is a risk of long-term psychosis with marijuana use.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders