Generic Name and Formulations:
Alemtuzumab 30mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; preservative-free.
Sanofi Genzyme Company
Indications for CAMPATH:
B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (B-CLL).
Premedicate with antihistamine and acetaminophen before 1st dose, and at dose escalations. Give by IV infusion over 2hrs. Initially 3mg daily until infusion reactions are ≤ grade 2, then increase to 10mg daily until infusion reactions are ≤ grade 2, then to maintenance 30mg/day three times per week (on alternate days); duration of therapy (including escalation): 12 weeks. Do not exceed max single dose 30mg/dose or 90mg/week. Give PCP and herpes viral prophylaxis during treatment and for at least 2 months after completion or until CD4+ count ≥200cells/µL, whichever occurs later. Dose adjustments for neutropenia and thrombocytopenia: see full labeling. Retitrate if therapy interrupted for ≥7 days.
Withhold dose for severe cytopenias (except lymphopenia); discontinue if autoimmune or recurrent/persistent severe cytopenias (except lymphopenia) develop. Monitor for infusion reactions; withhold dose if grade 3 or 4. Monitor for CMV infection during and for at least 2 months after completion. Withhold dose for serious infections and during antiviral treatment for CMV infection or confirmed CMV viremia. Obtain CBCs, platelet counts weekly, assess CD4+ counts after treatment until recovery to ≥200cells/µL. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid live virus vaccines (after recent alemtuzumab therapy). May interfere with tests using antibodies. Irradiate any blood products given (GVHD may occur).
Monoclonal antibody, CD52 (recombinant, humanized).
Infusion reactions, cytopenias (eg, neutropenia, lymphopenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), infections (eg, CMV), nausea, emesis, diarrhea, insomnia, anxiety.
Single-use vial—1, 3
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations