CALCIUM DISODIUM VERSENATE Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Edetate calcium disodium (EDTA) 200mg/mL; IV, IM inj.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for CALCIUM DISODIUM VERSENATE:
Lead poisoning. Lead encephalopathy.
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Maintain hydration. IM for children and overt lead encephalopathy. Blood lead levels 20–70micrograms/dL: 1g/m2 per day. IV: infuse over 8–12 hours. IM: divided doses every 8–12 hours. Treat for 5 days then stop for 2–4 days; may repeat. If levels over 70micrograms/dL: give with BAL; see full labeling.
Anuria. Renal disease. Hepatitis.
Risk of potentially fatal toxic effects (see full labeling).
Increased intracranial pressure (IV). Monitor urinalysis, urinary sediment, electrolytes, renal and hepatic function. Discontinue at 1st sign of renal toxicity. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Steroids may increase renal toxicity. May chelate zinc in insulin preparations.
Acute necrosis of proximal tubules (may result in fatal nephrosis), fever, chills, malaise, hypotension, arrhythmias, zinc deficiency, hypercalcemia, glycosuria, proteinuria, hematuria, large epithelial cells in urinary sediment, GI upset, polydipsia, histamine-like reactions, transient bone marrow depression, anemia, local reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD