Calcitriol Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitriol 1mcg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Calcitriol Injection:
Hypocalcemia in patients on chronic renal dialysis. Secondary hyperparathyroidism.
≥13yrs: Initially 1–2mcg (0.02mcg/kg) 3 times weekly (approx. every other day); usual range: 0.5–4mcg 3 times weekly. May increase by 0.5–1mcg at 2–4 week intervals. Adjust dose based on PTH levels: see full labeling.
<13yrs: not recommended.
Hypercalcemia. Vit. D toxicity.
Avoid concurrent Vit. D therapy. Maintain adequate calcium intake. Keep serum calcium times phosphate (Ca x P) product below 70. Monitor serum calcium and phosphorus twice weekly at start of therapy, and during dose adjustment. Monitor magnesium, alkaline phosphatase, parathyroid hormone levels (PTH) periodically; if PTH levels fall <1.5–3xULN, reduce calcitriol dose or discontinue. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Vit. D analog.
Hypermagnesemia with magnesium-containing antacids. Arrhythmias with digitalis if hypercalcemia occurs.
Symptoms of hypervitaminosis D, hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria, hyperphosphatemia.
Formerly known under the brand name Calcijex.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth