Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitonin-salmon (rDNA origin) 200 IU/spray; nasal spray.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Calcitonin-salmon:
Limitations Of use:
Not shown to increase BMD in early postmenopausal women.
1 spray (200Units) in alternating nostrils daily.
Correct hypocalcemia and other disorders (eg, Vit. D deficiency) prior to initiating; monitor serum calcium during therapy. Supplement diet with calcium (1g/day) and Vit. D (400 IU/day); reevaluate periodically. Seizures. Do periodic nasal exams; discontinue if severe nasal ulceration occurs. Increased risk of malignancies. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
May antagonize lithium; adjust dose.
Rhinitis, epistaxis, other nasal symptoms, back pain, arthralgia, headache; hypersensitivity reactions, antibody formation.
Formerly known under the brand name Fortical or Miacalcin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents