CAFCIT ORAL SOLUTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Caffeine citrate 20mg/mL (equivalent to caffeine base 10mg/mL); preservative-free.
West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corp.
Indications for CAFCIT ORAL SOLUTION:
Short-term treatment of apnea of prematurity in infants 28 to <33 weeks gestational age.
Maintenance: 5mg/kg caffeine citrate orally every 24 hours. Adjust based on response and serum caffeine levels.
Measure baseline serum caffeine levels in infants previously treated with theophylline (or aminophylline) and in infants born to mothers who consumed caffeine prior to delivery. Serious toxicity may occur with serum caffeine levels >50mg/L. Exclude or treat other causes of apnea. Seizure disorders. Cardiovascular disease. Monitor caffeine levels in impaired renal or hepatic function; adjust dose to avoid toxicity. Monitor serum glucose levels and for necrotizing enterocolitis. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid concominant theophylline, aminophylline (increased toxicity). May be potentiated by cimetidine, ketoconazole, others (may need to reduce caffeine dose). May be antagonized by phenobarbital, phenytoin, others (may need to increase caffeine dose). Caution with CYP1A2 substrates, inhibitors, or inducers.
CNS stimulation, cardiovascular or GI effects, increased gastric aspirate, feeding intolerance, hypo- or hyperglycemia, hemorrhage, acidosis, sepsis, lung edema, dyspnea, renal effects (eg, diuresis, renal failure), necrotizing enterocolitis.
Single-use vial (3mL)—1; Oral soln (3mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad