Generic Name and Formulations:
Exenatide 250mcg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains m-cresol and mannitol.
Indications for BYETTA:
Adjunct to diet and excercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes.
Limitations Of use:
Not a substitute for insulin. Not for treating type 1 diabetes or ketoacidosis. Not studied in combination with prandial insulin or with a history of pancreatitis.
Give by SC inj into thigh, abdomen, or upper arm within 60 mins before AM and PM meals (or before the 2 main meals of the day, approx. ≥6hrs apart). Initially 5mcg twice daily; may increase to 10mcg twice daily after 1 month. Moderate renal impairment (CrCl 30–50mL/min): caution when initiating or escalating doses from 5mcg to 10mcg.
History of pancreatitis; consider other antidiabetic therapies. Monitor for pancreatitis; if suspected, promptly discontinue; if confirmed, do not restart. Do not reuse or share pens or needles between patients. Severe GI disorders, renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min), end-stage renal disease: not recommended. Renal transplantation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concurrent prandial insulin: not recommended. Increased risk of hypoglycemia with concomitant sulfonylurea, insulin, or other insulin secretagogues (eg, meglitinides); consider reducing dose of these. May delay absorption of oral drugs (take these 1hr before exenatide). Monitor warfarin.
Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist.
GI upset, hypoglycemia, feeling jittery, dizziness, headache, dyspepsia, constipation, asthenia, reduced appetite, GERD, hyperhidrosis; antibody formation (glycemic response may be attenuated), pancreatitis (may be fatal), hypersensitivity reactions.
Prefilled pen (needles not included): 5mcg/dose—1 (60 doses); 10mcg/dose—1 (60 doses)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling