Generic Name and Formulations:
Busulfan 6mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution.
Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for BUSULFEX:
In combination with cyclophosphamide, as a conditioning regimen prior to allogeneic hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation for chronic myelogenous leukemia.
See full labeling. Premedicate with anticonvulsants and antiemetics. Give by IV infusion over 2 hours. 0.8mg/kg of ideal body weight or actual body weight, whichever is lower, every 6 hours for 4 days for total of 16 doses (on Days -7, -6, -5, and -4). Give cyclophosphamide after the 16th dose of busulfan (Days -3 and -2). Give hematopoietic progenitor cells on Day 0. Obese: base dose on adjusted ideal body weight.
See full labeling.
Risk of severe and prolonged myelosuppression; requires hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation. Seizure disorder. Head trauma. Monitor CBCs with differential, platelet counts, liver enzymes, bilirubin during treatment and until recovery. Monitor for infection and bleeding. Risk of ovarian suppression and amenorrhea in premenopausal women. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Pregnancy; use effective contraception during and for 6 months (females) or 3 months (males) after treatment. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by itraconazole, metronidazole, acetaminophen. May be antagonized by phenytoin. Caution with potentially epileptogenic drugs.
Myelosuppression, nausea, stomatitis, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, insomnia, fever, hypomagnesemia, abdominal pain, anxiety, headache, hyperglycemia, hypokalemia; seizures (with higher doses), hepatic veno-occlusive disease (with high AUC), cardiac tamponade (in pediatric patients with thalassemia), cellular dysplasia; rare: bronchopulmonary dysplasia with pulmonary fibrosis.
Single-use vials (10mL)—8
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad