Bumetanide Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bumetanide 0.25mg/mL; contains benzyl alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Bumetanide Inj:
Initially 0.5–1mg IM or IV. May give 1–2 more doses at 2–3 hour intervals; max 10mg/day.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Anuria. Infants. Hepatic coma. Severe electrolyte depletion.
Hepatic cirrhosis. Ascites. Progressive renal disease. Gout. Diabetes. Postsympathectomy. Monitor electrolytes, blood, liver function. May need K+ supplementation. K+ losing nephropathy. Discontinue if renal dysfunction progresses. Aldosterone excess. Ventricular arrhythmias. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May increase digitalis, lithium toxicity. Hypokalemia with digitalis, diuretics in CHF. Alcohol, CNS depressants increase orthostatic hypotension. Avoid probenecid, indomethacin. Ototoxicity may be potentiated with aminoglycosides.
Muscle cramps, dizziness, hypotension, headache, nausea, encephalopathy, ototoxicity, rash, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand name Bumex.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth