A study suggested that weight suppression explains a significant amount of variance in bulimic syndrome impairment.
Eating disorders are not confined to adolescence and early adulthood.
Continued symptom improvement and meaningful recovery are possible in anorexia nervosa beyond the first decade of follow-up.
FDA approval was based on a single clinical trial involving 111 patients, which was funded by the device manufacturer.
Those with eating disorders had higher scores in scales measuring alcohol dependence, alcohol-related problems, and intoxication.
Mental health conditions, like binge eating disorder and depression, are common among patients undergoing bariatric surgery.
Those who were bullied were almost twice as likely to have symptoms of bulimia compared to those who weren't bullied.
Lifetime prevalence of developing diabetes in this population highest among males.
Significant declines in weight and shape concerns, and dietary restraints were seen in female students after receiving mindfulness training.
Although not officially recognized by the APA, cases of orthorexia are on the rise.
Psychotherapy is useful in treating bulimia and binge eating, while anorexia remains the most difficult eating disorder to tackle.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- "MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders "
- Early Intervention Services Superior to Treatment as Usual for Early-Phase Psychosis
- Depressive Symptoms Predict Future Pain, Disability in Adolescent JIA
- Gender-Related Association Between Physical Activity, Psychological Status in T2D