Quetiapine-XR may be effective in reducing substance abuse in patients with bipolar disorder.
Cognitive remediation in patients with bipolar disorder may benefit executive function.
NSAIDs and acetaminophen use was assessed in patients randomized to 6 months of lithium or quetiapine treatment.
Patients with comorbid bipolar disorder and ADHD may benefit from methylphenidate treatment, if it can be done without incurring the risk of mania.
Intra-subject variability in reaction time (ISVRT) is viewed as a promising behavioral endophenotype for bipolar disorder.
Interaction of Proline and COMT Genotype Influences Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia & Bipolar DisorderSeptember 27, 2016
The authors explored whether valproate (VPA) treatment effects vary by catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotype.
Insights from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013
Until now, assessment of aerobic exercise capacity included expensive and time-consuming laboratory tests that do not necessarily accurately reflect patients' day-to-day physical functioning.
Psychosocial and Demographic Predictors of Depression Among Individuals With Bipolar Disorder and SchizophreniaAugust 15, 2016
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are characterized by significant genetic overlap, as well as significant clinical presentation overlap.
The researchers quantified the transcript levels of GAD67, parvalbumin, somastatin, and Lhx6 in the prefrontal cortex.
New findings underline the potential importance of signaling pathways in the striatum for understanding bipolar disorder pathophysiology.
Exposure to Stressful Triggers Increases Risk for Violent Criminality Irrespective of Psychiatric ConditionJuly 13, 2016
The largest 7-day absolute risk of criminal violence was observed after exposure to violence in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, as well as in unaffected individuals.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
Neuroimaging studies have shown several neurophysiological substrates for depression: An overview by Theodore Henderson, MD, PhD.
Events that happen in childhood and adolescence can predispose individuals to suicidal behavior.
Great potential exists for using objective smartphone data to discriminate between depressive and manic states in patients with bipolar disorder.
Research identifies high comorbidity rates between these 2 distinct diseases with underlying inflammation dysfunction.
Research in recent decades has found structural brain abnormalities in patients with bipolar disorder, but such observations had not been translated into objective and clinically useful biomarkers.
Theory of Mind refers to the ability to assign mental states to oneself and others based on social cues such as tone of voice and facial expressions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Genetic Variations Associated With Empathy Affect Psychiatric Conditions
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed